Chief Commercial Officer
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. The company develops products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning.
Oceaneering is the world’s largest remotely operated vehicle (ROV) operator, with more than 300 systems operating worldwide. Additionally, they are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling.
The company also uses applied technology expertise to serve Defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering creates and submits multiple bids and proposals to prospects worldwide. These high-stakes documents are jointly produced across business units, and often in collaboration with affiliated companies and subsidiaries. For this reason, a lot of input and information must be incorporated into the bids.
Previously, this posed a challenge for Oceaneering. Commercial Manager Norway, Lars Johan Ommundsen, explains:
– We used to create our bids and proposals in Word, on prem. We then converted the files into PDFs and submitted them to our prospects. Each contributor wrote their piece, and then we had to stitch it all together, with the deadline looming. Reformatting an entire business document in accordance with corporate branding and layout guidelines… Well, that’s one heck of a cleanup job.
Ommundsen sums it up:
– Manually creating bids was simply too cumbersome and unproductive for everyone involved.
In the end, Oceaneering realized they needed to optimize their bid processes and procedures. Ommundsen was well aware of the advantages of using a professional co-authoring and automation software solution. A year or so earlier, Oceaneering had invited Xait to their Norway regional headquarters to give a presentation on their award-winning proposal solution, XaitPorter.
This time, Oceaneering invited Xait to present their solution at a global meetup in London. It was well received.
– We decided to trial XaitPorter, kicking it off in Norway, says Ommundsen.
Feedback from the pilot period was very good. The Norway offices reported an increase in quality and efficiency on their bid creation.
– We pushed forward from the pilot. Today, the IT department at our corporate headquarters in Houston manages our partnership with Xait.
More than 90% of Oceaneering’s bids are created using XaitPorter. What business value has the move to a cloud-based proposal solution created for them so far?
Erik Saestad, VP & Country Manager at Oceaneering Norway, doesn’t hesitate:
– Xait Porter has given us the opportunity to multi-collaborate across business units and locations. We’ve calculated how much time the solution saves us, and it’s somewhere between 60% and 70%. It’s easier for us to create tenders that are fully aligned, and the overall quality is much better.
– XaitPorter is an incredibly useful tool for us. The licensing fees are moderate compared to the time savings. What’s more, formatting, layout and numbering are automatically taken care of, which means we have more time to focus on getting our content just right.
The fact that XaitPorter allows contributors across departments and regions to easily access, edit and share documents anytime, from anywhere around the world, is an advantage that has brought Oceaneering a great deal of added value.
– XaitPorter allows us to harness global resources in a way that Word or other file-based tools never did. Our international team members are able to contribute as if they’re sitting right next to us at our offices.
For Oceaneering, the use of XaitPorter has spread outside of tendering.
– We use XaitPorter to create other business documents, as well, Lars Johan Ommundsen points out. – No matter what type of document we’re preparing, be it reports or contracts – everyone works seamlessly together, and we’re always up to date with the latest version.
– It’s truly a unique tool.
What’s on the horizon for Oceaneering’s document creation process?
– We know there are opportunities to further leverage XaitPorter, Erik Saestad concludes. – Going forward, we’ll use the solution in ways we haven’t yet thought of.
To learn more about Oceaneering and what they do, visit https://www.oceaneering.com/.
XaitPorter allows us to harness global resources in a way that Word or other file-based tools never did. Our international team members are able to contribute as if they’re sitting right next to us at our offices.