Focus on the design
Modern shipbuilding has become one of the most technically innovative industries today, responsible for many of the most advanced moving machinery in existence. The demands of projecting timely, well thought out and good value ships are creating high demands on the teams responsible for designing and building the ships.
The shipbuilding industry has become fiercely competitive in latter years, with more focus on lower costs and modular construction, creating an environment with little room for error. This led to the birth of the SFI standards allowing the ship designers and shipbuilders worldwide to create and work from a standardized universal technical specification.
The design specifications for a ship is a document consisting of several hundred pages of valuable information; each one with details specific to each design line, wharf, vessel and shipping company. Due to time constraints and focus on reducing costs, quite often many companies tend to reuse copies of previous specifications, cutting and pasting various sections and numbers of the SFI based specifications. The danger with this is that you might be reusing content that is out of date or not up to the latest safety regulations. It is also possible that you are increasing the cost of the new vessel due to previous special requirements for old vessel designs that might not be necessary for your latest one.
By utilizing XaitPorter you get the benefit of creating your ship specifications directly from a database. Allowing you to manage and reuse your SFI content in a responsible and structured process. Some SFI codes might be general for all vessels, while others are unique, perhaps only to a specific vessel type or client. With XaitPorter you can create custom templates per vessel type, ship, class, client utilizing linked, copied and unique content to reduce the amount of double entries and to centralize, as well as increase the content you are re-using. You can of course also write content from scratch, specific to your latest innovative design.
The universal benefits of XaitPorter means you do not have to worry about the appearance and structure of the document as XaitPorter has taken care of the formatting and SFI numbering for you. Allowing you to focus solely on the design and specification of your new vessel.
- Giving you complete oversight over your ship design process from the initial “short spec”, to Design Specification, to contract from a single source solution.
- Allowing your teams to save time in the document creation process, and thus helping you cut costs.
- Maintaining informational integrity throughout your process, and obtaining value through reuse of information.
- Giving your clients an extra added value, by allowing them access to comment directly into the “live” document, allowing your naval architects to interact in a much more personal and cost efficient way.
- Possibility of integrating with existing business data solutions like CRM, Project Management Tools and BI, for fully integrated approach from first contact to final contract.
For Naval Architects
- Increasing the quality of all your technical documents, including master SFI library, ship design specifications, stability books and more.
- Making sure you deliver on time.
- Giving you control of the entire document creation and review process.
For Design Team
- Saving you time, and reducing the amount of overtime needed to complete a project.
- Making the latest version of the entire document available to you at any time, from any where.
- Giving you the ability to see how your colleagues have solved their tasks, and allowing you to adjust your content and language accordingly.
- Set content expiry dates on both master SFI level content and shiptype specific content allowing you to update details when industry standards have been updated.